It’s a ‘doggy dog’ world and we are all just living in it. Think about it: we provide them with shelter, sustenance, and more. In return, they give us unconditional love among many other things. Pretty good deal, right? Pups are precious gifts and that is why we protect them with laws. Funny thing is some of these laws come off as peculiar and even ridiculous. Here are 10 of the weirdest and strangest local dog laws by state.
1. You cannot tie your pet dog to the roof of a car in Anchorage, Alaska.
You think this would be one of those no-brainers because if you haven’t heard: tying your dog to the roof of your car is just cruel and wrong. But lawmakers in Alaska had to enforce this one so people would not try it. We could all just wonder what happened to the poor pup that started all this. Respect.
2. In Little Rock, Arkansas, dogs are not allowed to bark after 6 PM.
Don’t you just hate it when you’re having a nice dinner with your family and the neighbor’s dog starts barking like crazy? Well, here’s a tip: move to Arkansas because it is illegal for doggies to keep barking past 6 PM. We’re guessing their owners would be fined if their pet got caught.
3. No dog is allowed to be in a public place without its master on a leash in Belvedere, California.
Wait, what? Did we read that right? We know laws are written in broad terms to stretch their limits, but this one is just weird. Are they saying that dogs are not allowed in public places without their masters tying them on a leash? Or do they want the masters to be tied on the leash themselves? We may never know.
4. In Hartford, Connecticut, you aren’t allowed to educate dogs.
Are you already planning out where your mutt will go to college? Well, make sure you are not living in Hartford, CT because it is forbidden in this town to teach your dog how to read and write. Honestly, if dogs were educated they would beat us in any career opportunity.
5. In Denver, Colorado, the dog catcher must notify dogs of impounding by posting (for three consecutive days) a notice on a tree in the city park and along a public road through said park to make sure dogs don’t miss the notice.
If you live in the Rocky Mountains your dog cannot be a dumb dog. Teach that little guy how to read so he would see the heads up dog catchers are posting all over the city. The town is giving dogs a three-day notice before they throw them to the pound.
6. It’s illegal to give a dog whiskey in Chicago, Illinois
It is not allowed to make your dog drink hard liquor in Chitown. And probably for good reason: their insides are not designed nor evolved to handle alcohol. Plus, you would not want your dog to get drunk and drive your car, right?
7. In Galesburg, Illinois, no person may keep a smelly dog.
Nobody likes a smelly dog and in Galesburg, and the townsfolk are barred from keeping one. So make sure to give that little fellow a bath or take him to the vet if he has some kind of skin condition.
8. And in Northbrook, Illinois, it’s against the law for a dog to bark for more than 15 minutes.
What’s up with Illinois and these crazy specific laws? Dogs are not allowed to bark for more than 15 minutes. So go ahead and set your timer to 14 minutes and fifty-nine seconds. Anything more than that and the cops will come knocking.
9. Dogs are not allowed to mess with cars in Fort Thomas, Kentucky
Nobody likes to see their car being used as a public urinal by dogs. In fact, the town of Fort Thomas, KY hates it so much they passed a law disallowing canines to relieve themselves in any way, shape, or form on automobiles.
10. Fights between cats and dogs are not allowed in Barber, North Carolina
Do you own dogs and cats? Do they fight sometimes? It’s pretty normal if you ask me, but just make sure you don’t live in Barber, NC. They outlawed fight clubs between canine and feline so you better take that ruckus somewhere else.
Do you like reading this article? Watch our blog to see more weird and funny dog laws by state.