Dog owners are well aware that chocolate is harmful to dogs but there are other foods that can have devastating consequences if ingested as well. Do you know which ones? Most people don’t either! Some of the foods on this list are quite surprising.
The canine digestive system is entirely different than ours. It’s less developed and cannot process certain foods humans can. Many dog owners offer table scraps. But those scraps can actually be harmful! Also, certain foods we eat need to be put (WAY) out of reach because they can even act like a poison to your pet.
Here’s a list of foods you should NEVER give to your dog!
According to Wikipedia, “Allium is a genus of monocotyledonous flowering plants that includes hundreds of species, including the cultivated onion, garlic, scallion, shallot, leek, and chives.”
This means that onion, garlic, scallions, leeks, and chives (and any food seasoned with them) are potentially TOXIC! Alliums can cause hemolytic anemia, which can damage a dog’s red blood cells.
According to the Pet Poison Helpline:
“Onions, garlic, chives, and leeks are of the Allium family and are poisonous to both dogs and cats. Garlic is considered to be about 5X as potent as onions. Onion and garlic poisoning results in oxidative damage to the red blood cells (making the red blood cells more likely to rupture) and gastroenteritis (e.g., nausea, oral irritation, drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea). Other clinical signs of anemia may be seen, and include lethargy, pale gums, an elevated heart rate, an increased respiratory rate, weakness, exercise intolerance, and collapse. Onion and garlic poisoning may have a delayed onset, and clinical signs may not be apparent for several days.”
Signs of Allium Toxicity:
- Oral irritation
- Abdominal pain
- Elevated heart rate and respiratory rate
- Exercise intolerance
- Pale gums
#2 Rotten Or Spoiled Food
If you are too grossed out to eat it or you know it’s spoiled, DO NOT FEED IT TO YOUR DOG! Foods with mold, expired foods, or food that hasn’t been properly refrigerated is no good for you, therefore it’s NO GOOD for Fido!
Throw it out and forget about it!
#3 Fried, Fatty Foods
Foods like fried chicken and french fries can be toxic to dogs. Eating fried foods can cause pancreatic inflammation leading to pancreatitis, which can turn into a life-threatening event.
If you’re worried that your dog consumed fried foods take her to the vet immediately— pancreatitis can cause extreme vomiting and requires immediate emergency care.
Vets have no idea why grapes make dogs so sick but there is a direct correlation between dogs eating grapes and kidney failure.
This includes raisins, dried currants, and fresh grapes! Dried currants and raisins can be even more lethal because they are more concentrated. This, of course, includes foods that contain raisins, dried currants and grapes as well.
If you think your dog ingested these foods, watch for these signs of. . . >>Click To Continue Reading. . .