Bugs can be such a nuisance, and it’s even worse when you get bit by one! Sometimes it’s impossible to be outside for more than ten minutes in the summer without getting bit by a mosquito. While mosquito bites are pretty easy to recognize, there are many other bug bites that people may not be as familiar with.

1. Mosquitos 

Most people can spot a mosquito bite, especially when they won’t stop itching! It seems the more you scratch them, the more they itch! They look like puffy round bumps on the surface of your skin, and they can become even more swollen and sometimes even bleed the more you itch them. It is also common to get multiple bites at the same time.

Calamine lotion may work well to help the itching subside.

Some people are allergic to mosquito bites and have a much worse reaction. They can get hives, even more swelling and redness, and sometimes even swollen lymph nodes.

Did you know that male mosquitos don’t bite humans? We can thank the females for our itchy bumps! Both male and females feed on plant nectar, but only the females need blood to help them reproduce.

2. Wasps

Wasp stings look similar to mosquito bites, but they are slightly wider. Wasp stings are painful because their stingers are loaded with venom, and their stingers remain intact which means they can sting you multiple times at once. When you get stung by a wasp, you could feel instant pain and irritation, and will be left with a swollen, itchy bump.

Wasp stings can be treated at home and the pain and burning will usually subside after a few hours. After washing the bite area, apply hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion and then a band-aid to keep it from getting infected.

Some people are severely allergic to wasp stings and can go into anaphylactic shock. Those people would need an EpiPen and to be taken to the hospital ASAP.

3. Bees

When a honeybee stings you, it leaves behind its stinger in your skin, so these are usually easy to recognize. The stinger leaves behind a venomous toxin which causes temporary sharp pain, swelling and redness.

Remove the stinger immediately, wash the site with soap and water, and ice the area to help the swelling go down.

While bee stings are usually just a painful inconvenience, some people are severely allergic to them and can experience difficulty breathing, rapid pulse, vomiting, and even loss of consciousness.