What started as a fun day at the beach between pet parent and his loving Labrador Retriever ended in tragedy, and the victim’s dad is speaking out to prevent this from happening to other dogs.

Source: Shareably/WFLA News Channel 8

The Black Lab, whom owner Chris Taylor named O.G., enjoyed a day at Honeymoon Island Dog Beach. The water-loving pooch played for hours in the ocean and on the sand. Later that evening, the dog began to vomit, had diarrhea, and although he ate boiled chicken and rice, things got worse the next day.

Source: Shareably/WFLA News Channel 8

He was dazed, appeared to aimlessly wander around, so Chris rushed his dog to the vet. Sadly, O.G. was showing signs of saltwater poisoning and went from seizures into dehydration and eventual brain damage. He passed away at the veterinary hospital.

When sodium levels get really high, the brain is affected. Dr. Katy Meyer of TB Vet Emergency Services said, “When the brain is affected, the whole body gets affected.”

Source: Shareably/WFLA News Channel 8

The devastated dog dad is warning other pet parents to be careful when heading to the beach with your dog and to pay attention. Dr. Meyer also says that dogs should take breaks, not consume saltwater, and be sure to offer fresh water to keep them hydrated. She recommends no more than two hours at the beach. Watch this video so you know what to watch out for when heading to the beach with your dog.