When you buy toys for your dog, you do so with the hope that they are safe to play with. After all, dog toys end up in a dog’s mouth. For one dog mom in South Dakota, she is thankful that a recently purchased dog toy did not harm her pooch.

Source: BRProud

Rudy the Yorkshire Terrier was the recipient of dog toys from his mom, Allie DeJong. At the after Christmas sale at DeJong’s local PetSmart store, she picked up a few toys from the sales bin. One of those toys, a stuffed snowman, became Rudy’s fast favorite.

Dejong’s mother, Lynette, started playing with the dog and his new toy. In a statement for KELOLAND, she shared, “I was about to throw it and then I got poked. And there’s this needle sticking out. And I just looked up and I was shocked and I said, ‘Allie what is this?'”

Source: BRProud

Sticking out of the toy was a large sewing needle. They took the toy back to the store, where Dejong was instructed to connect with PetSmart corporate headquarters. They later called to apologize.

In a statement from PetSmart, they said, “We are not aware of any similar complaints related to this dog toy and have no current plans to remove it from our shelves. We will remain in close contact with the pet parent.”

Source: BRProud

Always be aware of anything that goes into your dog’s mouth and check toys carefully. The complete story can be viewed in the video below.