Paula Godwin was out and about in her Arizona neighborhood, walking her beloved dogs when something got in the way under her feet. It was a rattlesnake!  And Godwin nearly stepped on it! The snake was rather pissed off and startled.

In a matter of seconds, Todd, Godwin’s Golden Retriever puppy, went into protector mode and ran toward the snake. He stood between it and his mama, ready to protect his owner at all costs. That’s when the snake lunged toward Godwin and bit Todd instead.

Todd’s poor muzzle got what was intended for Godwin: a very painful, venomous bite.

Paula Godwin/Facebook

“He jumped right in front of my leg where I surely would have got bit,” Godwin said on her Facebook page. “This is what a hero looks like.”

Paula Godwin/Facebook

Todd began to cry out in pain, his face began to swell, the little pup was in agony! Godwin put her dogs in the car and raced over to an animal hospital and was there within minutes. The veterinarian quickly administered antivenom.

In dogs, venomous snake bites can cause:

  • Rapid, shallow breathing
  • Tremors
  • Vomiting
  • Blood in urine
  • Limb weakness and paralysis
  • Altered mental status
  • Dilated pupils
  • Bleeding and tissue damage
  • Excessive salivation

With lots of love, hugs, and affection from his mama, Todd made a complete recovery. He still has a wound on the side of his nose and some swelling.

Paula Godwin/Facebook

The brave pup has become an internet star for doing what his instincts (and big heart) told him to. Todd is a very good boy.

Paula Godwin/Facebook

“My sweet Todd for sure is my hero,” Godwin said. “He is recovering so well. I feel I have to say that the man upstairs surely is watching out for me, too.”