We often come to the internet to escape everyday stress. Fun stories and videos depicting cats and dogs doing silly things are our go-to for entertainment. However, we need these stories too. Not to bring us down, but to keep our pets safe and healthy. Sadly, for one dog owner, this story is her reality.

Christina Young recently said goodbye to her four-legged best friend, Petey, after a tragic mistake claimed his life. She wants other pet owners to know that this was 100% preventable, and for most of us, “this mistake” has already happened in our homes.



Young came home one day to what she thought would be her dog, happily wagging his tail at the door, ready for a game of fetch. Instead, she came home to a quiet house and her somber boyfriend, Christian, breaking devastating news. Young posted this on her Facebook page:


“As [Christian] walked in further he saw our sweet boy laying lifeless with a stupid chip bag over his head. He was able to get them off the counter that we will forever blame ourselves for leaving out. He ate every chip out but of course went back for crumbs…which made the bag tighter and tighter with there being nothing left inside every time he would go for more he would inhale making the bag tighter & tighter around his head.. ultimately resulting in suffocation.”


Young couldn’t understand how this could happen. Why didn’t Petey pull the bag off of his head with his paws?