Stay for one more story:

9 Surprisingly Dangerous Treats for Dogs

When your dog is begging for the delicious food in your hand, it’s always tempting to give in—especially when the scraps will otherwise go to waste. But think twice about serving human food to your pup. Plenty of common foods, seasonings, and additives are actually toxic for dogs to consume. Other treats should be avoided because of high fat or sodium content, both of which cause more issues for pets than for people.

Think your pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t have, or too much human food in one go? Watch for symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, or fatigue. And if you know they’ve eaten something poisonous to pups, seek veterinary care immediately.

1. Peanut Butter with Xylitol

Many brands of peanut butter are perfectly safe. However, you should always check ingredients before feeding this tasty treat to your pet. Xylitol, a commonly used artificial sweetener, is fatally toxic to dogs. Look for creamy peanut butter without xylitol—or better yet, with no added sweeteners.

Dogs love peanut butter; make sure the one you choose loves your dog back!

2. Chicken Wings

It’s It’s always tempting to give table scraps to your dog, but cooked bones are extremely hazardous. They can splinter, causing severe internal damage. And even boneless wings shouldn’t be fed to your pet: fried foods aren’t good for a dog’s system. Plus, the seasonings on your wings could contain traces of onion or garlic, which dogs can’t eat. It’s best to avoid feeding chicken wings to your dog altogether.

3. Bacon

Extremely fatty foods like bacon should be doled out sparingly. Dogs can’t process fat as easily as humans can, so servings should be limited to occasional treats. And don’t let your dog lick the grease off the plate! You won’t enjoy cleaning up after their next bathroom break.

 

4. Yogurt

Dogs don’t need dairy as part of a healthy diet. Yogurt may contain xylitol, a sweetener poisonous to your pet. Read ingredients carefully, and keep flavored or sweetened yogurt away from your pet. While an occasional spoonful of plain yogurt is unlikely to cause harm, don’t allow your dog to lap up your leftovers: many dogs are lactose-intolerant.