Paula Godwin was out walking her Golden Retriever, Todd, on a warm summer day in Arizona. As they hiked together, Paula nearly stepped right on a rattlesnake that lay in her path. She never saw it, but Todd the dog did, and he took matters into his own paws.

Source: Facebook/Paula Godwin

The dog took a leap in front of Paula, at which point the snake bit him. His gorgeous Golden face swelled up and he was rushed to the veterinarian. He got anti-venom treatment and survived.

On her Facebook page at the time, Paula shared, “He jumped right in front of my leg where I surely would have got bit. This is what a hero looks like.”

Source: Facebook/Paula Godwin

Thanks to his bravery and putting his own life at risk, the dog was named the Milk-Bone Dog of the Year for the first time ever. The Streamy Awards is a celebration of things online, and Todd’s story is the grand winner in his category. He won thanks to online voting.

Source: Facebook/Paula Godwin

Paula’s mom has a big heart, too. In an interview with Billboard, she said, “When he got bit, we were able to start a fundraiser to help other pets — raising money for dogs who can’t afford anti-venom.”

Check out some smart dogs in the video below. Way to go, Todd and Mom!