Healthy homemade dog recipes that involve real meat are a lot easier to make than you might think. Cooked hamburger meat has a reputation for being fatty and causing gastric upset to dogs. We discovered a recipe for homemade hamburgers for dogs that is super easy to make in the oven.
Using the simple instructions in this easy-to-follow recipe listed below, your dog will fall head over paws for the lip-smacking goodness of a homecooked meal.
*Be sure your dog is able to consume ground beef and always check with your veterinarian before making any dietary adjustments to your dog’s meals*
Get the oven ready and watch your dog’s nose kick into overdrive as you prepare this delectable dish. You can always substitute turkey or chicken for beef if your dog prefers.
- One pound extra lean ground beef
- Glass cup to shape the burgers
- Rounded sweet potato
- Rinsed baby spinach
- One can beets
- Small amount shredded cheddar cheese
- Baking pan
- Small pot for boiling water
Special note: Raw feeders don’t have to cook the meat as long as you use proper handling and the dog is used to a raw diet. This may also be used as a snack, extra special treat, or to occasionally supplement a meal.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F/160 C.
- Prepare your workspace with the ingredients above. Be sure your dog can’t table or counter surf and swipe anything.
- First, separate the ground beef into patties, rolling with your hands, patting the meat into a ball and then flattening them. Use the top of the glass cup to “cut” them and make them round. Set the patties aside on the baking pan.
- To ensure your the meat does not stick to the baking pan, use some non-caloric cooking spray or oven-safe parchment paper.
- Place the hamburgers a few inches apart on the baking sheet and transfer to oven.
- While the burgers cook for 20 minutes, make sure to check them and flip them maybe once, prepare the toppings as follows:
- Slice the sweet potato into round pieces, about 1/4 inch thick. Drop them into boiling water for approximately 10 minutes to soften them. Don’t make them overly mushy.
- While the sweet potato pieces are boiling, slice the cucumbers with the skin on. Set aside.
- Open the can of beets to serve as the doggy “ketchup,” by mashing it with a fork. Set aside.
- Rinse the baby spinach to use as the doggy “lettuce” and set aside.
- After removing the burgers from the oven, add a few pieces of chopped cheese, allowing it to melt. Wait for the burgers to cool so you don’t accidentally burn your dog’s mouth.
- The sweet potato acts as the bun, so put one slice down and layer the ingredients.
- Add two pieces of cucumber to the hamburger, followed by a few pieces of spinach, and some of the smashed beets on top. Finish it off with the top sweet potato slice.
Watch as your dogs drool and dive into the homemade, healthy hamburger.
View the step-by-step instructions below in the video from Gone to the Snow Dogs, who did an amazing job with this recipe. Enjoy!