When interviewing our team, we found out just how common this household item is. Do you recognize it? Do you have one too?

Source: Needpix.com

Yes, it’s a Himalayan salt lamp and it’s available for purchase on so many websites that when we did a Google search, we nearly fell off our chairs.

The lamps are believed to have health benefits. Whether the claims are true or not, we aren’t sure. What we do know is that the lamp’s glow is a soothing amber and it can be quite appealing to own.

So how does it work? Makers of the salt lamps claim that they can clean the air in your home, soothe allergies, improve your mood and may even help you fall and stay asleep.

Source: Maxpixel

Salt lamps claim that they provide health benefits by naturally ionizing the air. This means that they change the electrical charge of the air circulating around it.

If you own one of these lamps, then you know their soothing glow also emits a subtle warmth. They’re pretty awesome.

So what does this mean for people who own salt lamps and have pets? Here’s a story that should be read carefully and shared!

When Maddie Smith noticed her cat Ruby was behaving strangely, her worry alarm sounded. Ruby was suddenly holding her head funny as she walked.

Source: Maddie Smith/Facebook

“We initially thought this was just because she was so cold,” Smith wrote in a Facebook post, which has since gone viral, “so we got her nice and toasty and left for work as usual.”

And her condition quickly deteriorated that day when Smith was at work. When she returned home and noticed Ruby’s condition worsened, they rushed her to the emergency vet.

“The vets were extremely concerned for her and could see she definitely had neurological problems because she simply could not walk properly, could not hear or see, couldn’t even eat or drink properly because she couldn’t function [with] her tongue,” Smith wrote on Facebook. “Her basic senses and abilities GONE in 12 hours. She was so helpless.”

Source: Maddie Smith/Facebook

The vet drew blood which revealed incredibly high levels of sodium chloride in the small cat. They were very confused. There was no way Ruby could ingest that much salt. They asked Smith if anything had changed in the household or with Ruby’s routine. She said no. Except for one small thing…

Source: Maddie Smith/Facebook

That is when Smith had a lightbulb moment. The family recently purchased a salt lamp and placed it in the living room. Ruby became interested in it. Cats will be cats and her curiosity won over. She decided to take a taste of the lamp and by licking it, she ingested a toxic amount of sodium. This caused little Ruby’s brain to swell and the consequences from this caused severe neurological problems.

The vets immediately went to work on Ruby. By giving her copious amounts of IV fluids and potassium, they could hopefully rid her body of all the salt. The vets kept a watchful eye on Ruby, continuing to draw blood to check her levels. She was improving drastically! Thank God!

Source: First Vets/Facebook

“Ruby’s case simply highlights … that for dogs and cats, sometimes the most innocuous sources of sodium chloride can cause issues if the particular animal is drawn to it,” First Vets wrote on Facebook. “Another good example is when dogs ingest homemade playdough in large enough quantities for a toxic dose of sodium chloride to be reached for the particular dog’s size.”

Ruby is back to her old, adorable self. As for the salt lamp, Smith no longer has to worry about Ruby going near it. She threw it out.

Please pass along this story to all your friends and family so they know the hidden dangers. If you have a salt lamp, please keep it nice and high — out of reach!